Weekday Afterschool (ELA/Math)
POSITION: Saturday Academy Instructor (ELA/Math)
LOCATION: San Francisco, CA
SEO Scholars seeks additional math and English Language Arts (ELA) educators to implement a rigorous, college prep curriculum for our motivated and driven high school students. We are looking for passionate educators with a student-centered approach to teaching and learning.
- Teaching Load – Instructors teach 2 or 3 lessons to groups of approximately 20 students for 2 – 4 hours per day, depending on the position and subject.
- Attendance & Punctuality – Commit to teach on all scheduled days of programming, arrive to programming on time (30 min before first class), and attend all meetings as scheduled by staff.
- Careful Preparation – Read and annotate all lesson materials prior to teaching.
- Instruction – Follow the required lesson plans and meet lesson objectives. Meet criteria for rigorous instruction.
- Feedback – Provide written or electronic feedback to students via carefully graded and corrected assignments, edits of written work, and/or individualized report card comments at the end of the semester.
- Record Keeping – Grade all assignments and assessments associated with your class and submit relevant student data, including qualitative feedback on student’ progress, to SEO staff in a timely manner.
- Communication – Utilize SEO assigned email through Microsoft Outlook (Office 365) to communicate with SEO staff, students, and other instructors.
- Abide by all SEO Procedures and Policies.
- Teach a rigorous, inspiring curriculum!
- All lesson plans and all curricular materials are provided
- High-quality professional development and training
- SEO provides professional development, individual coaching, and opportunities to engage with other instructors in a collegial, inspiring environment that encourages reflection and growth.
- Promote depth of understanding along with skill acquisition
- Instructors are considered thinking coaches and facilitators of learning who support students’ deep engagement with course content.
The ideal candidate:
- Has high school teaching experience and a genuine love for teaching
- Has expertise and depth of knowledge in English or social studies content
- Is passionate about student learning and completely dedicated to students’ success
- Has strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Is an energetic, reflective, and conscientious teacher looking to join a supportive and diverse community committed to securing social justice through education
- Is motivated and inspired by SEO Scholars’ mission
Available Spring Positions:
Spring semester classes begin on January 29th and ends on May 3rd. Classes meet Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 4:30 – 6:30 PM with start times at 4:30 and 5:30. Instructors lead1 to 2 one-hour classes of 10-12 students each day. Considerations will be made for instructors to teach one, two, three or four days.
Positions are available for Critical Reading, SAT Reading, High School Math, and Statistics Instructors.
Weekday afterschool programming is held John O’Connell High School at 2355 Folsom Street, San Francisco, CA 94110.
Instructors are compensated on a competitive hourly rate scale that starts at $36 / hour and increases by semester based on tenure with the organization as an SEO Instructor.
Please apply through our website: http://scholars.seo-usa.org/join-us/teach/
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V