SEO Scholars partners with shift_ed to deliver its eight-year, tuition-free program to North Carolina high school students.
shift_ed SEO Scholars North Carolina further advances our mission of closing academic and early career opportunity gaps within historically excluded communities by providing motivated public high school students with a challenging and engaging hybrid, out-of-school academic program.
Scholars experience asynchronous and synchronous online learning in the areas of identity and empowerment, ELA, and math. In-person community days throughout the year and Friday Academies in the summer give students the opportunity to build face-to-face connections with their peers and instructors.
By providing students with online year-round supplemental academic classes, mentorship, experiential learning opportunities, and career exposure during high school, we help Scholars gain admissions to, and graduate from, a competitive four-year college, earning a Bachelor’s degree. While in college, our North Carolina Scholars receive the same array of support and services as Scholars who have graduated from SEO Scholars New York City and San Francisco.
This hybrid format of SEO Scholars was piloted in Guilford County in the 2022-23 academic year, with plans to reach more students across the state starting in 2023-24.
The time to get ready for college is now.
SEO is partnering with shift_ed, a tax-exempt business that specializes in education and workforce development, to deliver our programs to public high school students in North Carolina. shift_ed boldly accelerates student potential with a continuum of educational programs that spans from kindergarten to career. Its initiatives transform communities by creating and enabling access to diverse educational and workforce pathways.
Our free online program begins the first year of high school and includes:
- Afterschool learning online on weekdays and out-of-school learning on Saturdays and during the summer
- Subjects taught: Identity & Empowerment, English Language Arts (ELA), and Math
- Academic advising with an SEO Student Advisor throughout high school
- Mentoring from trained volunteers
- SAT prep, review, and strategy
- Socio-emotional learning support
- College admissions counseling, including financial aid and scholarships
- College panels
- Community-building events
- A College Persistence Advisor for all four years of college
- Regularly, SEO Scholars will meet in person on a Saturday, and on campus with their SEO student advisors and cohort for a full day of community-building as a cohort.
- All students participate in a five-week online Summer Academy, which includes five days in-person summer activities and asynchronous and synchronous learning of advisory, ELA, and math.
Our Local Partners
We're grateful to our partners who provide space for our in-person programming.