SEO Scholars is a free, eight-year, academic program that successfully educates and mentors underserved public high school students to and through college.
Online learning is accelerating the SEO Scholars mission of creating a more equitable society for all.
In addition to our flagship programs in New York City and San Francisco, SEO is expanding nationally. First, with North Carolina in 2023, and then with Miami in 2025. Our expansion sites incorporate SEO’s excellent core curriculum and instructors, working online with students each week. In-person community days are also included to foster lifelong bonds between students within their cohort and beyond.
“SEO Scholars has allowed me to connect with peers from other schools with similar goals. I know that we are in this together.” – SEO Scholar, North Carolina
Why become an SEO Scholar?
of SEO Scholars are accepted to a four-year college
of SEO Scholars graduate high school, compared to 20% of students from similar backgrounds nationally.
Our free online program begins the first year of high school and includes:
- Afterschool learning online on weekdays and out-of-school learning on Saturdays and during the summer
- Subjects taught: Advisory, English Language Arts (ELA), and Math.
- Academic advising with an SEO Student Advisor throughout high school
- Mentoring from trained volunteers
- SAT prep, review, and strategy
- Socio-emotional learning support
- College admissions counseling, including financial aid and scholarships
- College panels
- Community-building events
- A College Persistence Advisor for all four years of college
- Regularly, SEO Scholars will meet in person on a Saturday, and on campus with their SEO student advisors for a full day of community-building as a cohort.
- All students participate in a five-week online Summer Academy, which includes five days of in person summer activities and hybrid community-building.
What Makes Our Online Program Unique?
- Online academics and in-person Community Days.
- Engaging activities with experienced instructors who provide support and fun using gamification tools.
- Research–based standards and best practices.
Ed Tech Overview
- Wifi Hotspots
- Brightspace: a learning management system for our instructors and scholars to interact, share resources, and manage various aspects of the learning process.
- Desmos: interactive math software that allows our scholars to graph functions, plot data, create geometric constructions, and perform mathematical computations.
- Nearpod: a platform for interactive lessons, presentations, quizzes, and activities that can be used with any device — laptops, tablets, or smartphones.
- Hypothes.is: a platform that provides collaboration on PDFs, and other digital documents.
- Gamification: tools to infuse game–like elements into learning