SEO – Sponsors for Educational Opportunity, Inc.
By using or accessing the Site you agree to these Terms, as updated from time to time in accordance with Section 8 below. If you do not want to agree to these Terms, you must not access or use the Site. These Terms state that any disputes between you and us must be resolved in small claims court.
- Acceptance. To use the Site you must (i) be at least eighteen (18) years of age, or, if you are under 18 years of age but are at least 13 years old, you must use the Site with the consent of your parent or legal guardian; (ii) have not previously been suspended or removed from the Site; and (iii) use the Site in compliance with any and all applicable laws and regulations.
- Account Registration. To access some features of the Site, you may be required to register for an account. When you register for an account, we may ask you to give us certain identifying information about yourself, including your email address and other contact information, and to create a user name and password (“Registration Information”). When registering for and maintaining an account, you agree to provide true, accurate, and current information about yourself. You also agree not to impersonate anyone, misrepresent any affiliation with anyone, use false information, or otherwise conceal your identity from us for any purpose.
You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality and security of your password and other Registration Information. For your protection and the protection of other users, we ask you not to share your Registration Information with anyone else. If you do share this information with anyone, we will consider their activities to have been authorized by you. If you have reason to believe that your account is no longer secure, you must immediately notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As further described in Section 7, we have the right to disable any account, user name, password, or other identifier, whether chosen by you or provided by us, at any time, in our sole discretion for any or no reason, including if, in our opinion, you have violated any provision of these Terms.
- Prohibited Conduct. You agree not to:
- Use the Site for any illegal purpose, or in violation of any local, state, national, or international law;
- Violate or encourage others to violate our rights or the rights of third parties, including intellectual property rights;
- Upload any content that is unlawful, defamatory, libelous, inaccurate, or that a reasonable person could deem to be objectionable, profane, indecent, pornographic, harassing, threatening, hateful, or otherwise inappropriate;
- Interfere in any way with security-related features of the Site;
- Interfere with the operation or any user’s enjoyment of the Site, including by uploading or otherwise disseminating viruses, adware, spyware, worms, or other malicious code, making unsolicited offers or advertisements to other users, or attempting to collect personal information about users or third parties without their consent;
- Access, monitor or copy any content or information of the Site using any robot, spider, scraper, or other automated means or any manual process for any purpose without our express written permission;
- Perform any fraudulent activity, including impersonating any person or entity, claiming false affiliations, accessing the accounts of other users without permission, or falsifying your identity or any information about you, including age or date of birth; or
- Sell or otherwise transfer the access granted herein.
- Third-Party Content. The Site may contain links to third-party websites and services. We provide such links as a convenience and do not control or endorse these websites and services. You acknowledge and agree that we have not reviewed the content, advertising, products, services, or other materials that appear on such third-party websites or services, and are not responsible for the legality, accuracy, or appropriateness of any such content, and shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with your use of any such third-party websites or services.
- Intellectual Property. This Site and its entire contents and features (including all information, software, text, images, video, audio, and the design) are owned by us, our licensors, or other providers of such material and are protected by applicable United States and international copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, and other intellectual property laws. No materials from the Site may be copied, reproduced, republished, uploaded, posted, publicly displayed or performed, downloaded, transmitted, or distributed in any way without our express permission, except as may be required for you to access and view the Site.
You may not access or use this Site for any commercial purposes, modify copies of any materials from this Site, or delete or alter any copyright, trademark, or other proprietary rights notices from copies of materials from this Site. Any use of this Site not expressly permitted by these Terms is a breach of these Terms and may violate copyright, trademark, and other laws. We intend to vigorously enforce our rights, including our intellectual property rights. You acknowledge and agree that you relinquish all ownership rights in any ideas or suggestions that you submit to us through this Site.
Our name, our logo, and all related names, logos, product and service names, designs, and slogans are trademarks of us or our affiliates or licensors. You must not use such marks without our prior written permission.
- Reliance on Information Posted. The information presented on or through the Site is made available solely for general information purposes. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of this information. Any reliance you place on such information is strictly at your own risk. We disclaim all liability and responsibility arising from any reliance placed on such information by you or any other visitor to the Site, or by anyone who may be informed of any of the Site’s contents.
- Termination. If you violate these Terms, your permission to use our Site will automatically terminate. In addition, we, in our sole discretion, may suspend or terminate your user account and/or suspend or terminate some or all of your access to the Site at any time, with or without notice to you. You may terminate your account at any time by contacting us at email@example.com. After your account is terminated, information and content previously provided by you will no longer be accessible through your account, but we may continue to store such information and content, and it may also be stored by third parties to whom it has been transferred through your use of the Site.
- Modification of the Terms. We reserve the right at any time to modify these Terms and to impose new or additional terms or conditions on your use of our Site. Such modifications and additional terms and conditions will be effective immediately upon notice. We will make reasonable efforts to notify you of any material changes to the Terms, including by posting a notice to our Site or by sending an email to any address you may have provided to us. Your continued use of the Services following notice will be deemed acceptance of any modifications to the Terms.
- Disclaimers of Warranties. OUR SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND ON AN “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. Although we seek to maintain safe, secure, accurate, and well-functioning services, we cannot guarantee the continuous operation of or access to our Site, and there may at times be inadvertent technical or factual errors or inaccuracies. YOUR USE OF THE SITE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. We specifically (but without limitation) disclaim (i) any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, quiet enjoyment, or non-infringement; and (ii) any warranties arising out of course-of-dealing, usage, or trade. You assume all risk for any damages that may result from your use of or access to our Site. We do not guarantee the accuracy of, and disclaim all liability for, any errors or other inaccuracies in the information, content, recommendations, and materials made available through our Site.
- Limitation of Liability. IN NO EVENT WILL WE BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES (INCLUDING PERSONAL INJURY, PAIN AND SUFFERING, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, LOSS OF REVENUE, LOSS OF PROFITS, LOSS OF BUSINESS OR ANTICIPATED SAVINGS, LOSS OF USE, LOSS OF GOODWILL, LOSS OF DATA, AND WHETHER CAUSED BY TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), BREACH OF CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE), WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STATUTE, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT WE HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. Some jurisdictions do not allow the disclaimer of warranties or limitation of liability in certain circumstances. Accordingly, some of the above limitations or the disclaimer of warranties in Section 9 may not apply to you.
- Indemnification. You agree that you will be personally responsible for your use of our Site, and you agree to defend, indemnify, and hold us, our officers, directors, employees, consultants, affiliates, subsidiaries, and agents, harmless from and against any and all claims, liabilities, damages, losses, and expenses (including attorneys’ and accounting fees and costs), arising out of or in any way connected with (i) your access to, use of, or alleged use of our Site; (ii) your violation of the Terms or any applicable law or regulation; (iii) your violation of any third party right, including any intellectual property right, publicity, confidentiality, property, or privacy right; or (iv) any disputes or issues between you and any third party. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you, and in such case, you agree to cooperate with our defense of such claim.
- Governing Law. These Terms are governed by the laws of the State of New York, without regard to conflict of law principles. Subject to Section 14 which provides that disputes are to be resolved in small claims court, to the extent that any lawsuit or court proceeding is permitted hereunder, you and we agree to submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction of the state courts and federal courts located within New York County, New York, for the purpose of litigating all such disputes.
- Geographic Restrictions. We provide this Site for use only by persons located in the United States. We make no claims that the Site or any of its content is accessible or appropriate outside of the United States. Access to the Site may not be legal by certain persons or in certain countries. If you access the Site from outside the United States, you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws.
- Dispute Resolution. In the interest of resolving disputes between you and us in the most expedient and cost-effective manner, you and we agree to resolve disputes in small claims court if a claim is within such court’s jurisdiction, provided that such action may not be transferred, removed, or appealed to a different court. Notwithstanding any of the above, you agree that either party may seek injunctive or other equitable relief in any state or federal court having jurisdiction to grant such relief in the event of actual or threatened infringement or misappropriation of intellectual property rights. You hereby expressly waive a trial by jury. You hereby agree not to participate in a class action for any claims covered by this agreement. This provision shall survive the termination of this agreement.
- Modification of the Site. We reserve the right to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, some or all of the Site at any time without any notice or further obligation to you. You agree that we will not be liable to you or to any third party for any modification, suspension, or discontinuance of any of the Site.
- No Waiver. The failure to require performance of any provision shall not affect our right to require performance at any time thereafter, nor shall a waiver of any breach or default of the Terms constitute a waiver of any subsequent breach or default or a waiver of the provision itself.
- Paragraph Headers. Use of paragraph headers in the Terms is for convenience only and shall not have any impact on the interpretation of particular provisions.
- Severability. In the event, that any part of the Terms is held to be invalid or unenforceable, the unenforceable part shall be given effect to the greatest extent possible and the remaining parts will remain in full force and effect.
Last updated: January 31, 2020
If you have any questions or comments regarding the Web Site or this Privacy Notice, please contact us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by U.S. mail at:
Attn: Communications Department
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity, Inc.
55 Exchange Place
New York, New York 10005.
- What Type of Information We Collect and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of the Site, which may include certain “Personal Information” (information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular person, such as name, e-mail address, mailing address, telephone number, date of birth, financial account information, IP address, and other similar types of information), as well as other information from or about you, such as information about your internet connection, equipment you use to access the Site, and usage details. We collect information in order to enable you to navigate the website, to deliver services associated with programs or positions you apply for through the website, to update our technical functional, and to fulfill our legal functions or obligations. Not all categories of information may be collected about every individual.
- Information You Provide
You may provide us with Personal Information when you fill out forms or fields on the Site, when you make a donation, apply for one of our programs, or when you contact us or request information about us, this Site, or our services (whether by e-mail or other means).
SEO collects the following information through our secure online financial transaction pages: name, address, e-mail address, phone number, and credit card/debit card information. This Personal Information is used to process your donation and to include you on SEO’s mailing list if you choose to join it. Unless you specify that your contribution is “anonymous” or otherwise request that your name not be listed, we may list the names of donors who give $500 or more in our newsletters and annual reports to recognize the generosity of those who have given to our cause. Personal Information is never sold or rented to third parties.
- Information We Automatically Collect
When you visit the Site or use a third-party website that interacts with our Site, we may automatically receive and record certain information from your computer, web browser, or mobile device, including your IP address or other device address or ID, web browser or device type, hardware and software settings and configurations, the web pages or sites that you visit before or after visiting the Site, the pages you view on the Site, your actions on the Site, and the dates and times that you visit, access, or use the Site.
- How We Use the Information We Collect
- We generally use the information we collect about you or that you provide to us in order to provide you with information you request from us or to fulfill any other purposes for which you provide such information.
- We may use Personal Information in any way we may describe to you when you provide such information or for any other purpose with your consent.
- We may use non-identifying information (including aggregated data) about your use of the Site to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the Site, and to improve fraud detection and information security.
- We may use information we collect (including automatically or through cookies) to: (a) personalize our services, such as remembering your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Site; (b) provide customized content and information; (c) monitor and analyze the effectiveness of the Site; (d) monitor aggregate Site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed.
- When we disclose your information
- To our third-party service providers to provide website development, hosting, data storage, maintenance, credit card processing, and other services for us.
- If required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to take precautions against liability; to comply with various reporting obligations; to protect ourselves from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activity; to protect the security or integrity of the Site; to investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations; to assist government enforcement agencies; to comply with state and federal laws; or in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant.
- To a buyer or other successor, in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (such as in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization, bankruptcy, dissolution, or liquidation), or take steps in anticipation of such a transaction.
- In any way we may describe to you when you provide such information, to fulfill any other purposes for which you provide such information or for any other purpose with your consent.
- Your Choices
- You may, of course, decline to share certain information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality of the Site.
- For applicants or others with a registered account: Once you have registered for an account, you may be able to update, correct, or delete your profile information and preferences at any time by accessing your account preferences page through the Site, through a third-party website that interacts with the Site, or by contacting an SEO representative.
- If you do not wish to receive e-mail offers or newsletters from us, you can opt-out of receiving e-mail information from us (except for e-mails related to the completion of your registration, change of password, and other communications essential to your transactions through the Site) by using the unsubscribe process at the bottom of the e-mail. Should you opt-out, we will promptly honor your request, though we may retain certain information you submit (including in backups or archives) for a variety of purposes, including analytics, the prevention of fraud or abuse, and compliance with our legal or regulatory obligations.
- Children’s Privacy
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. For that reason, we do not allow children under 13 years of age to use the Site, we do not knowingly collect or maintain information from persons under 13 years of age, and no part of the Site is directed to persons under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access the Site at any time or in any manner. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under 13 years of age has provided us with information, please alert us at email@example.com.
- Data Security
We use certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards that are designed to protect the integrity and security of your Personal Information; however, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable, so we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us through the Site, and you do so at your own risk. We also cannot guarantee that your information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Site. Even after removal, copies of information that you have posted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or if other users have copied or stored such information.
- Visitors from Outside the United States
- Limitation of Liability
By accessing this Site and/or providing us with Personal Information and other data, you expressly and unconditionally release and hold us harmless from any and all liability for any injuries, loss, or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the use and/or misuse of such information. In addition, while we take efforts to ensure the proper and appropriate use of data by our service providers that may receive your information from us, we are not responsible for any injuries, loss, or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the use and/or misuse of your information caused by those service providers.
- Last Update
- Do Not Track Disclosures
Do Not Track is a voluntary program among Internet advertisers that is intended to give users the ability to opt-out of behavioral target and advertising. At this time, we do not respond to “do not track” settings.
Last Updated: January 31, 2020