SEO Scholars offers a comprehensive curriculum focused on Math and English, aimed at helping students prepare for academic and social success. Classes include:
Advisory: Developing innovative leaders.
- Scholars challenge and inform what they believe about the world.
- Affirm their identities while sharpening their ability to analyze how oppressive systems operate to deny power.
- Identify how to use their strengths to create a more just and equitable society in ways that are meaningful to them.
ELA: Preparing Scholars for college and beyond by becoming critical thinkers, readers, writers, speakers, and listeners.
- Scholars are supported as thought-leaders in their communities and society as a whole.
- Learn foundational skills of ELA: reading, writing, grammar, and vocabulary, in preparation for the SAT.
- Learn Common Core Standards for ELA Grades 9-11.
Math: Preparing students for college math, the SAT, developing a positive math identity, and engaging in productive math discussions.
Lessons are designed to build students’ understanding of key high school math competencies and are built on three core beliefs:
- All students can succeed at math and success at math has social justice implications.
- Tasks are designed with multiple entry-points
- Resources are provided for students needing additional support
- Instruction incorporates problem-solving strategies
- Students learn best when they’re engaged with their peers in reasoning, tinkering, articulating their thoughts, and justifying their conclusion.
- Courses are built on student-centered learning and group work
- Instruction creates spaces for students to engage with each other
- Mistakes should be celebrated as opportunities for growth.
- Learning from mistakes is a powerful tool for mathematical growth
- Students analyze errors, reflect on the work of their peers, and revise their work based on learning