Apply to the SEO Law Fellowship
The 2023 Fellowship Application is now closed. The 2024 Fellowship Application will open in November 2023.
To qualify you must meet the following requirements:
Here’s what you need to have ready when you apply (all of the following sections must be completed before we can evaluate your candidacy):
- SEO Law Application:
- Personal details (name, address, email, demographic information, etc.)
- Law School Application details & status (may be updated regularly throughout the admissions cycle)
- Supporting Documentation:
- Resume (in SEO’s format: use this template!)
- LSAC Academic Summary
- Unofficial undergraduate and/or graduate transcript(s)
- Personal Statement
- Diversity Statement (if written for law school applications)
- Two (2) References (contacts will be asked to complete a standard SEO evaluation form)
- Law School Enrollment / Seat Deposit Confirmation
2024 Fellowship Application Timeline:
- Application Opens: the week of November 20, 2023
While we are still determining the complete 2024 Application Timeline, here is the 2023 Fellowship Application Timeline which the 2024 Application Timeline will similarly follow:
- Priority Deadline: Sunday, January 15, 2023 11:59 PM EST
- Regular Deadline: Friday, March 3, 2023 11:59 PM EST
- Interviews: invitations released on a rolling basis between February – April 2023
- Proof of Law School Enrollment: Monday, April 17, 2023
- Admissions Decisions: on a rolling basis from March 2023 through early May 2023
- Program Dates: mid-May 2023 through end of July 2023
- In certain instances, Fellows may be asked to start or end their summer internship earlier or later
- September 2023 – May 2024: 1L Academic Support
Frequently Asked Questions (“FAQs”)
Do I need to have been admitted to law school in order to apply to the SEO Law Fellowship program?
No, but you should have submitted an application to a law school by the time you apply to the Fellowship.
I don’t plan to enroll in law school by next fall. Can I still participate in the SEO Law Fellowship?
Only candidates who are starting law school in the fall immediately after their Fellowship summer are eligible for internships with our law firm partners.
If you are looking to take the LSAT and apply to law school in 2024, for matriculation Fall 2025, you may be eligible to apply to SEO Law Catalyst – 2024 application opens in October 2023.
Who is eligible to apply to the Fellowship?
The only eligibility requirements are those listed above with respect to GPA, test scores, work authorization and graduation date!
SEO Law takes a very expansive view of what it means to be “underserved” and encourages applicants to do the same. This can include different perspectives due to, but not limited to, an applicant’s race or ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, immigration status, veteran status, disability, religious affiliation, socio-economic status, experience with the criminal justice system, experience with the child welfare system, status as a first-gen college or first-gen graduate student, etc.
If you are applying to law school and interested in corporate law, we hope you submit an application!
How do I make updates to my application for the Fellowship application?
Most updates to your Fellowship application such as resume, reference requests, test score, and law school admissions information, can be updated through your Fellowship application portal.
Please visit your online portal and follow the steps below.
- SEO Resume: you may submit an updated resume via your application portal under the task titled “Update Resume”. To update, click the ellipses (…) in the right-hand corner of the task box and click “Edit”. You must click “MARK AS COMPLETE” to finalize your changes.
- Test Scores: if you indicated a future exam retake, your application portal will have populated a task titled “Update Test Scores”. Please update your information as soon as you receive your new scores. You must click “MARK AS COMPLETE” to finalize your changes. You will not be able to edit this task once it has been completed.
- Law School Admissions Information: it is your responsibility to update your application portal as you receive updates on your law school applications. See the task “Law School Information” in your application portal. To update, click on the ellipses (…) in the right-hand corner of the task box and click “Edit”. You must click “MARK AS COMPLETE” to finalize your changes.
Please note that we will not accept updated resumes submitted past the application deadline or accept updated scores submitted past February 2023.
How do I submit my law school enrollment documents for the Fellowship application?
You only need to submit your law school enrollment form (proof of your seat deposit) once you have committed to enrolling in a select school.
Please see the “Law School Information” task in your online application portal and indicate your final law school decisions, including the school you decided to enroll in. This will trigger a new task in your application portal titled “Law School Enrollment”. Please upload your supporting documents there.
When should I expect to interview with the SEO Law Fellowship team?
Interviews will occur in February through April 2023, with priority given to applications completed by the priority deadline.
If you are selected for an interview, you will be prompted to select from a list of times to meet via Zoom.
Will selected Fellows only be considered for firms or cities noted in their applications or interviews?
Applicants can select cities for which they would like to be considered for and may mention firms of interest during an interview. However, SEO Law determines both the final city (out of those selected by the applicant) and the partner law firm the Fellow is placed at for the Fellowship.