SEO's Alternative Investments Fellowship Program (AIFP) propels underrepresented young professionals into the alternatives industry
Alternative Investments Fellowship Program
As envisioned in 2009, the AIFP has become an industry-wide educational program that is designed to help diverse 1st and 2nd year investment banking analysts prepare to compete for opportunities in the buy-side.
- Training – Fellows enhance their technical and soft skills through 1:1 and group coaching, online resources and customized skill development programs within the AIFP
- Advanced LBO Modeling Training Sessions
- LBO Case Study Practice & Review
- Network – Consisting of 400+ SEO alum in the buy-side, program partners, industry leaders, recruiters and supporters, the AIFP provides access to a community of influential industry and thought leaders
- Mentoring by PE professionals from our prestigious partners
- Introduction to the unique cultures of each partner firm
- Participation in the SEO Annual Alternative Investments Conference (AICON)
- Breakfast seminars with industry leaders, including Limited Partners discussion on investing in the alternatives sector
Who We Serve?
- We encourage individuals who meet the below listed requirements, to apply for the AIFP:
- Pre-MBA professionals of color who are traditionally underrepresented in AI (i.e. people of Black, Hispanic and Native American descent, as well as Asian women)
- People in the first or second year of an analyst program at a bulge bracket or boutique investment bank in NYC
- Preferred analysts include those in traditional investment banking industry coverage groups, M&A, leverage finance and structured finance
- Both SEO alumni and non-alumni are eligible to apply
Next Steps to Become an AIFP Fellow:
- AIFP 2020-2021 applications open in January 2020
- Investment Academy – The program consists of both online and in-person training resources designed to help diverse investment banking analysts enhance and sharpen their quantitative as well as qualitative knowledge and helps participants become competitive AIFP candidates
- Register here to receive notifications on upcoming Investment Academy training sessions, networking events and the opening of applications for the AIFP 2020-2021 class
Working in close collaboration with SEO’s AIFP partners, the Fellowship has become the foremost program promoting diversity in the alternatives sector by providing education, access and career development to underrepresented minorities.
SEO AIFP partners include Advent, American Securities, Bain Capital, Carlyle, Centerbridge, CD&R, CVC, D.E. Shaw, General Atlantic, Genstar, KKR, Oaktree, Palladium, TA Associates, Thoma Bravo, TPG, Vista Equity Partners, Warburg Pincus and WCAS.
Mark Guerra, AIFP Class of 2017
Irving Place Capital
"SEO provided me with an opportunity to accelerate my career. I'm extremely grateful for the values and skills I learned during my time in the program. My life would be very different without SEO. I don't think there's anything out there that gives you a higher probability of being successful."