Saturday Academy Math Instructor, 9th Grade
Location: New York, NY or Brooklyn, NY
Academic Unit: Semester 1 – “Numbers and Operations”
The 9th Grade Saturday Academy Math Instructor position offers math educators an opportunity to implement a rigorous, college prep curriculum for motivated and driven high school students. SEO instructors are passionate educators with a student-centered approach to teaching and learning.
The Numbers and Operations unit is the first math unit of the SEO curriculum. During this semester, students develop their number sense and review key algebraic principles such as distribution, factoring, and operating with fractions. They also learn to interpret ratios using the measurement model and apply proportional reasoning in a variety of contexts.
- Teach a rigorous, inspiring curriculum!
- All lesson plans and all curricular materials are provided
- High-quality professional development and training
- SEO provides professional development, individual coaching, and opportunities to engage with other instructors in a collegial, inspiring environment that encourages reflection and growth.
- Promote depth of understanding along with skill acquisition Instructors are considered thinking coaches and facilitators of learning who support students’ deep engagement with course content.
- Teaching Load – Teach two ELA hours or two Math hours (same lesson both hours) per afternoon (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays). Over the course of the week, you will teach one lesson plan to six different small groups of students.
- Attendance & Punctuality – Commit to teach on all scheduled days of programming, arrive at programming on time (30 min before first class), and attend all meetings as scheduled by staff.
- Careful Preparation – Read and annotate all lesson materials prior to teaching.
- Instruction – Follow the required lesson plans and meet lesson objectives. Meet criteria for rigorous instruction.
- Feedback – Provide written feedback on at least five students per week.
- Abide by all SEO Procedures and Policies.
The 9th Grade Spring Saturday Academy semester begins with Scholar Orientation on March 2nd, which instructors are expected to attend. 9th Grade Spring Saturday Academy classes begin on March 9th and end on May 18th. Classes meet approximately three Saturdays a month from 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM. Academic programming for the Spring 2019 semester will take place on the following dates: 3/9, 3/16, 3/23, 4/6, 4/13, 5/4, 5/11, and 5/18.
Instructors teach a total of 40 students, split into two groups, and see each group for two separate 1-hour classes.
Saturday Academy is held at two different sites, one in mid-Manhattan and one in Downtown Brooklyn. We do our best to match instructors with the more convenient location but cannot guarantee instructors their site preference.
The ideal candidate:
- Has NYC-based high school teaching experience and a genuine love for teaching
- Has expertise and depth of knowledge in math content
- Is passionate about student learning and completely dedicated to students’ success
- Has strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Is an energetic, reflective, and conscientious teacher looking to join a supportive and diverse community committed to securing social justice through education
- Is motivated and inspired by SEO Scholars’ mission
Instructors are compensated on a competitive hourly rate scale that starts at $36 / hour and increases by semester based on tenure with the organization as an SEO Instructor.
Please apply on our website here: http://scholars.seo-usa.org/apply-now/
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V