Fall College Advisory Instructor (12th grade)
POSITION: Fall College Advisory Instructor (12th grade)
SEO Scholars seeks College Advisory Instructors to deliver college advising curriculum to 12th-grade Scholars. Instructors will guide Scholars through the college admissions process – from completing their college lists, preparing them to submit their applications, and guiding them through the financial aid process, among other things – and challenge them to think critically about their decisions. We are looking for passionate educators with a student-centered approach to teaching and learning.
- Teach a rigorous, inspiring curriculum!
- All lesson plans and all curricular materials are provided
- High-quality professional development and training
- SEO provides professional development, individual coaching, and opportunities to engage with other instructors in a collegial, inspiring environment that encourages reflection and growth.
- Promote depth of understanding along with skill acquisition
- Instructors are considered thinking coaches and facilitators of learning who support students’ deep engagement with course content.
- Fellows will also work with students in one-on-one settings to further understanding.
- Teaching Load – Teach two ELA hours or two Math hours (same lesson both hours) per afternoon (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays). Over the course of the week, you will teach one lesson plan to six different small groups of students.
- Attendance & Punctuality – Commit to teach on all scheduled days of programming, arrive at programming on time (30 min before first class), and attend all meetings as scheduled by staff.
- Careful Preparation – Read and annotate all lesson materials prior to teaching.
- Instruction – Follow the required lesson plans and meet lesson objectives. Meet criteria for rigorous instruction.
- Abide by all SEO Procedures and Policies.
Fall Semester classes take place from Saturday, September 8 to Saturday, December 15.
During the month of September, instructors will teach two, 90-minute classes each Saturday. From October to December, instructors will teach 4, 60-minute classes each Saturday
Saturday classes will be at Long Island University (Brooklyn) in Downtown Brooklyn
The ideal candidate:
- Has expertise and depth of knowledge in the college admissions process, especially within NY’s SUNY and CUNY systems
- Experience supporting students throughout the college admissions process
- Has teaching experience and a genuine love for working with high school students
- Is passionate about student learning and completely dedicated to students’ success
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Is an energetic, reflective, and conscientious teacher looking to join a supportive and diverse community committed to securing social justice through education
- Is flexible and reliable
- Is motivated and inspired by SEO Scholars’ mission
- Proficiency using Google Drive and Google Classroom
Advisory Instructors are compensated at a competitive hourly rate.
We look forward to reviewing your application!
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V