Weekday Afterschool Instructor
Position: Weekday Instructor (ELA/Math)
Location: New York, NY or Brooklyn, NY
SEO Scholars seeks additional math and English Language Arts (ELA) educators to implement a rigorous, college prep curriculum for our motivated and driven high school students. We are looking for passionate educators with a student-centered approach to teaching and learning.
- Teach a rigorous, inspiring curriculum!
- All lesson plans and all curricular materials are provided
- High-quality professional development and training
- SEO provides professional development, individual coaching, and opportunities to engage with other instructors in a collegial, inspiring environment that encourages reflection and growth.
- Promote depth of understanding along with skill acquisition Instructors are considered thinking coaches and facilitators of learning who support students’ deep engagement with course content.
- Teaching Load – Teach two ELA hours or two Math hours (same lesson both hours) per afternoon (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays). Over the course of the week, you will teach one lesson plan to six different small groups of students.
- Attendance & Punctuality – Commit to teach on all scheduled days of programming, arrive at programming on time (30 min before first class), and attend all meetings as scheduled by staff.
- Careful Preparation – Read and annotate all lesson materials prior to teaching.
- Instruction – Follow the required lesson plans and meet lesson objectives. Meet criteria for rigorous instruction.
- Feedback – Provide written feedback on at least five students per week.
- Abide by all SEO Procedures and Policies.
Fall semester weekday classes begin in late September and run through mid-December. Classes meet on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 4:30 – 6:30 PM. Instructors lead 2 one-hour classes of 10-12 students each day for a total of 6 classes per week.
Weekday afterschool programming is held at four different sites, depending on grade level. Three of our sites are in Lower Manhattan (one site is the SEO office), and our third site is in Downtown Brooklyn. We do our best to match instructors with the more convenient location, but cannot guarantee instructors their site preference.
The ideal candidate:
- Has NYC-based high school teaching experience and a genuine love for teaching
- Has expertise and depth of knowledge in either ELA/social studies or math content
- Is passionate about student learning and completely dedicated to students’ success
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Is an energetic, reflective, and conscientious teacher looking to join a supportive and diverse a community committed to securing social justice through education
- Is motivated and inspired by SEO Scholars’ mission
Saturday Academy Instructors are compensated at a per diem rate of $100 ($300 per week). The per diem rate includes all preparation, teaching hours, orientation, emails, and completion of anecdotes.
Please note that the deadline to apply is Friday, August 24th. Thank you!
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V