Saturday Academy Teaching Fellow
POSITION: Saturday Academy Teaching Fellow (Math/ELA)
LOCATION: New York, NY or Brooklyn, NY
The Saturday Academy Teaching Fellow Position offers math and ELA educators who are newer to the profession or new to SEO’s instructional model an opportunity to develop a strong foundation in research-based high-leverage instructional practice within a supportive and inspiring community of educators and motivated public high-school students. As a Saturday Academy Teaching Fellow, you will:
- Teach a rigorous, inspiring curriculum!
- All lesson plans and all curricular materials are provided
- Receive quality professional development and training
- SEO provides professional development, individual coaching, and opportunities to engage with other instructors in a collegial, inspiring environment that encourages reflection and growth.
- Fellows benefit from observing other instructors teach and receive coaching from Lead instructors and program staff
- Promote depth of understanding along with skill acquisition
- Instructors are considered thinking coaches and facilitators of learning who support students’ deep engagement with course content.
- Fellows will also work with students in one-on-one settings to further understanding.
- Teaching Load – Teach two ELA hours or two Math hours (same lesson both hours) per afternoon (Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays). Over the course of the week, you will teach one lesson plan to six different small groups of students.
- Attendance & Punctuality – Commit to teach on all scheduled days of programming, arrive at programming on time (30 min before first class), and attend all meetings as scheduled by staff.
- Careful Preparation – Read and annotate all lesson materials prior to teaching.
- Instruction – Follow the required lesson plans and meet lesson objectives. Meet criteria for rigorous instruction.
- Observation – Spend two hours of the day observing and/or pushing into other instructors’ classes.
- Substitute Instruction – If a last-minute absence occurs, you will cover for another instructor and teach two of their classes in addition to your two classes (the equivalent of a full load). On days where you take on another instructor’s class, you will not do observations or run Office Hours.
- Record Keeping – Keep electronic grade book up to date and complete all grading in a timely
- Feedback – Provide written feedback on at least five students per week.
- Abide by all SEO Procedures and Policies.
Saturday Academy begins on Saturday, September 8th and ends on Saturday, December 15th. Classes meet approximately three Saturdays a month from 9:30 AM – 4:30 PM. The twelve dates for Fall 2018 are as follows: 9/8, 9/15, 9/22, 10/6, 10/13, 10/20, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17, 12/1, 12/8, 12/15.
The ideal candidate:
- Is a passionate math or ELA educator
- Is looking to gain additional practice and professional development to develop their skillset
- Has strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Is motivated and inspired by SEO Scholars’ mission
Saturday Academy Teaching Fellows are compensated at a $275 per diem rate. This includes all preparation, meetings (including orientations), emails, grading, completion of anecdotes, report card comment writing, and online grade book maintenance associated with the instructor’s assigned classes.
Please note that the deadline to apply is Friday, August 17th. Thank you!
Sponsors for Educational Opportunity is an Equal Opportunity Employer – M/F/D/V