Manager of Curriculum & Instruction
Location: New York, NY
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
The Manager of Curriculum & Instruction is responsible for recruiting top talent to teach students on Saturday and after school, supervising and coaching instructors once they’ve been hired, and helping to revise the curriculum that instructors deliver to more than 250 students in a given semester. The position is a key member of a six-person Curriculum & Instruction department, and reports to the Assistant Director, Curriculum & Instruction.
Instructor Recruitment Strategy and Execution
- Plan and execute a robust instructor recruitment strategy to attract high-quality teachers for all instructional positions.
- Research effective recruitment practices.
- Deliver compelling recruitment presentations.
- Develop partnerships to create instructor pipelines.
- Assist with instructor candidate interviewing throughout the hiring process as needed.
Instructor Supervision and Coaching
- Directly supervise weekday and Saturday Academy instructors for one grade level and provide written and oral feedback on their performance.
- Serve as the Curriculum & Instruction Site Lead at one Saturday Academy location.
- Design and lead effective instructor orientations and professional development for instructors.
- Work with Operations staff to ensure smooth delivery of Saturday and weekday programming.
ELA Curriculum Development
- Assist with curriculum development and revision in Critical Reading, Critical Writing, Grammar, College Advisory and College Prep Writing.
Other duties as assigned.
Education and Work Experience:
- Master’s degree in education, the humanities, or a related field
- At least two years of high school or middle school teaching experience
- At least one year of experience coaching, leading or managing a successful team with a demonstrated track record of success, preferably in an academic setting
- A strong understanding of student-centered instructional practice
- Experience with recruitment preferred
- ELA curriculum writing experience preferred
Core Competencies and Skills:
- Passionate about closing the opportunity gap on the high school and college level for first-generation and low-income students
- Inspired by exceptional classroom teaching
- Committed to ensuring high-quality instruction in all SEO classrooms
- Skilled at public speaking and navigating communication in a variety of settings
- Thoughtful, reflective and collaborative
- Highly resourceful, solutions-oriented and flexible with changing priorities
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment with strict deadlines
- Able to work a regular Tuesday – Saturday schedule
Please email your application to ScholarsStaffing@seo-usa.org using the following conventions:
- Subject: Manager of Curriculum & Instruction – First Name Last Name
- Body of Email: Include name, and contact information
- Attach: Cover letter and resume saved as First Name Last Name_cover letter & First Name Last Name_resume